Wednesday, July 1, 2009

history in haiti.




I am officially sitting in the Miami airport headed to Haiti for the rest of the summer, and I CAN NOT wait until I get there. I’ll be spending the night here and heading there really early in the morning. I thought some of you would like to know a little background info on what i’m doing and why. 
I went to haiti for the first time after my sophomore year of high school and stayed at MOH. MOH (Mission of Hope) is what I fell in love with, especially the kids. It all started with the orphanage, which now has about 50 kids, and now consists of that orphanage, a hospital clinic, a school for about 5000 kids, a food bank, and a church. The vision that the people have here for this mission is incredible, and every child who comes through this orphanage is hoped to eventually be sent to college in the U.S. This place has grown tremendously every time I return, and that’s one of the biggest joys I get of coming back! 
Since that first time with a wonderful group from church, I have been back 4 times. This time will be my 6th and my first time to fly by myself, which has been exciting. I am considered an intern for the summer and I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have to do this. You will hear about everything I’m doing throughout the next few weeks, but the one thing I am most excited about is hanging out with and loving on the kids. They range from 3 years to about 15 years, and we also just got two newborn twin babies that will be here, “baby girl” and “baby boy.” You’ll hear a lot more about them soon to come. I appreciate you coming to read and i’ll update you as soon as I arrive at MOH. 

HAITI HERE I COME!

Things I am thankful for today.... 
1. Not getting lost (yet) while flying by myself. 
2. Parents that trust me enough to go. Thanks mom and dad! :)
3. Airport food! Mmmm

peace, love, and 8 hour layovers,

alex

2 comments:

  1. Alex,
    We are so proud of you and what you will be doing for our Lord and savior and the work that needs to be done on His behalf.
    We will be praying for you and whatever God has for you.
    Please give Rachel one extra big hug when you get there and tell her it is from me.
    We love you!
    Debbie and Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soo excited for you, Alex! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete